11 September 2008

My Gay Agenda

I have grown tired of hearing this mythical term 'the gay agenda' that certain groups like to repeat over and over, implying that in some way, gay and lesbian people have created this 'master plan.' According to James Dobson, the founder of the violently anti-gay 'Focus on the Family,' these goals are:

1. universal acceptance of the 'gay lifestyle'
2. discrediting of scriptures that condemn homosexuality
3. muzzling of the clergy and Christian media
4. granting of special privileges and rights in the law
5. overturning laws prohibiting pedophilia,
6. indoctrinating children and future generations through public education, and
7. securing all the legal benefits of marriage for any two or more people who claim to have homosexual tendencies.

I'm not kidding. He and his followers actually believe this crap. Well, let me address these claims:
1. There is no 'gay lifestyle.' My innate sexual orientation is no more a 'lifestyle' than is James Dobson's innate sexual orientation. Lifestyle is largely determined by socioeconomic status. My 'lifestyle' includes working my full time job every day to help my family pay the mortgage and bills, taking care of our home, going to the grocery store, going to weight watchers meetings, watching DVD's on the weekends, occasionally going out to eat, when we can afford it, going to church on Sundays and participating in various church activities throughout the week. What part of this lifestyle is gay, besides the gender of my partner? Incidently, I could care less if some people 'accept' me for who I am, but I will definitely fight back if their lack of acceptance infringes upon my right to peacefully co-exist.
2. When people truly study the scriptures with an open heart and mind, there is very little evidence to support condemnation, and nothing, absolutely nothing, is said about loving, committed same-sex relationships. Out of more than 30,000 verses in the bible, only six contain any possible reference to same sex behavior, and this is usually in reference to a heterosexual person participating in behavior that is contrary to their true nature. I personally feel that if people want to believe their choice of religious belief condemns homosexual behavior, more power to them. My religious beliefs, and many others, do not. The point is that it doesn't really matter what religion has to say about it when it comes to equal rights. Religion does not get to dictate civil law.
3. When Dobson says 'muzzling clergy and christian media' he means 'any confrontation of the religious rights' attempts to legislate based on their perceived notion of morality and trying to force religious dogma on people who may or may not believe the way he does is considered muzzling.' The truth is clergy and christian media are not interfered with, except when they attempt to encourage the passage of laws that discriminate against gay people.
4. I don't want special rights. I want the same rights as everyone else. What's special about that?
5. Overturning laws for child sexual abuse? On what planet are gay people trying to do this? Utter and comeplete bullshit. This is just fear mongering at it's worst.
6. Teaching children about tolerance and diversity - letting them know that most people are straight, but some people are gay - telling them that it's not okay to call someone a fag or a dyke - it's not okay to beat on or shoot someone because they are perceived to be gay - holding them accountable when they participate in homophobic behavior like this - is NOT indoctrination. It's the right thing to do. Schools should be a safe place for children, regardless of their sexual orientation, and fostering a climate of hatred for perceived differences is clearly wrong.
7. I want the right to marry the person of my choice, regardless of their gender, and have that marriage be recognized just like my heterosexual counterparts. Anything less is not equal. Throwing in the 'wanting to secure the legal benefits for any two 'or more' people' is just more fear mongering. Allowing me to marry my partner will not lead to polygamy, which is illegal for good reason. It has historically been found to be harmful to women and children. My marriage, and every other same sex marriage, harms no one.

In a nutshell:

I want to enjoy the same legal rights as everyone else, including the right to serve, fight and even die on behalf of my country in the military; the right to earn a living by working hard and being judged wholly on the quality of my work; the right to be free of fear that I may lose my job because I'm gay, the right for children and teenagers to attend high school without being shoved, punched or otherwise attacked because they are perceived to be different; and yes, the right to express not only love for another person, but a willingness to be legally, as well as morally, responsible for his or her well-being.

If there really is a gay agenda...that is it.

No comments: